IP_NEW_Button_HOLDER_06122103
NewStandardEquipment_070622
10_Banner_RtTop04

IP395 SeaTrials

SeaTrial_Banner02

The first Island Pilot came alive on April 21st during her intitial sea trials held in the Pearl River Delta area in Zhuhai, China.

The HP/Speed curve shows a minimal amount of horse power is required to move her at displacement speeds. But more interestingly, it shows that the Island Pilot reaches her maximum efficiency at her maximum continuous cruising speed of 28 knots.

Perf_HPKts03

The Island Pilot starts to plane at just over 10 knots, and once on a plane, her speed is increased in direct proportion to RPM increases.

Perf_SpdRPM02

The horsepower curve closely matches the theoretical “propeller curve” published by Volvo Penta. After testing 3 different sets of propellers, the Island Pilot has found a perfect match between the D6 350 HP motors and the G4 props.

Note the bump at 3,200 RPM - For some reason, efficiency increases just as the Island Pilot reaches her maximum cruising speed of 28 knots.

Perf_HPRPM04

At displacement speeds, the Island Pilot is just as efficient as a similar sized full-displacement cruiser. However, she is more efficient than other fast trawlers as she gains speed - at 28 knots she is burning just under 28 gallons per hours, resulting in more than 1 nautical mile per gallon.

Perf_GalRPM02

The Nautical Mile per Gallon plotted against RPM curve shows the bump in her efficiency at 3,200 RPM to just over 1 nm/gal. This is one fast cruiser where you don’t save fuel by slowing down (unless of course, you are looking for maximum range at displacement speeds).

Perf_NMperGalRPM02

The Nautical Mile per Gallon plotted against Speed curve reflects the one above. At 28 knots, she is her most efficient.

Note: All the fuel flow data was done with her onboard LCD (at both stations). This information is constantly available allowing for fine tuning of stern drive tilt at different speeds in differing conditions to maximize efficiency.

Perf_NMperGalKTS02

If you’re interested in taking off for Bermuda, you’ll be interested in the Range vs. Speed curve. At speeds under 10 knots, you’ll find the range you need for the occasional offshore passage. And for onshore jaunts, you’ll do better than 350 nautical miles at 28 knots!

Note: All tests were done with 100% holding tank, 90% fuel & 90% water with an additional 1,750# of crew on board. The range is calculated using 360 gallons of fuel leaving a 10% (40 gallon) reserve.

Perf_RangeKts02

Conclusions:

1. The Island Pilot likes going fast! Once on a plane, she is essentially getting one nautical mile per gallon - this means you can cruise at the speed that you like best without compromising your fuel efficiency.

2. At displacement speeds you can cruise like a full-displacement cruiser with the range necessary for the type of offshore passages you are actually like to make.

3. Interpolating from the above curves (and underlying data), we are making the following assumptions regarding the smaller motor packages: The D4s should have a top speed of 28 knots and a top cruising speed of 21 knots.

READ THE SEA TRIAL PRESS RELEASE - CLICK  HERE!